The month of October has been chosen to spread awareness about breast cancer. The main intention to observe Breast Cancer Awareness Month is to educate citizens about breast cancer. Breast cancer is the most severe form of cancer that occurs in middle-aged women. It has become a major disease across the globe and has been claiming the lives of numerous women annually. Detection of breast cancer earlier is the only way to prevent it.
Breast cancer is distinguished by the exponential growth of cells, which culminates in the development of lumps in the breasts. If the cancer is not recognized early then it can become fatal and can extend to the other parts of the body and may also put the life of the person suffering in jeopardy
Risk factors that lead to breast cancer
- All those women whose sisters and mothers acquired breast cancer carry a higher risk of acquiring cancer.
- Women who developed non-cancerous lumps in their breasts are more likely to develop breast cancer in later stages.
- When a woman ages, she becomes more prone to develop breast cancer.
- There are higher chances of developing breast cancer for those women who drink and smoke excessively.
- All those women who got their periods much earlier and entered into the menopause stage much later have a higher risk of developing breast cancer.
Early indicators to detect breast cancer
To avoid breast cancer, one must pay attention to the early indicators to detect cancer. Every woman must know how her breasts look normally and if she detects any changes in the appearance of her breasts then she must seek medical advice.
Some indicators of breast cancer include-
- Lumps in the breasts or thickening of them.
- Redness and itchiness around the nipple’s area.
- Severe pain in the breasts.
- Change in the position of nipples.
- A different discharge from the breasts other than breast milk.
- Visible changes in the texture of the skin.
- The visible change in the shape of nipples.
Few tips to prevent breast cancer
Early detection of breast cancer is the foundation of preventing it. Treatment for the same becomes easy if it is detected early. This includes self-examination of your breasts or done by a medical professional to recognize lumps and nodes in your breasts.
Here are some of the measures that you can follow to prevent the occurrence of breast cancer.
- Take a low-fat diet, which is rich in fruits and vegetables, and eat healthy food.
- Do a regular workout to stay fit and healthy and to maintain your weight. Every week, indulge in any physical activity for at least 150 minutes.
- Avoid smoking and too much consumption of alcohol. Take only one glass of alcohol every day.
- Make a few healthy changes in your lifestyle in terms of food and work habits.
Breast Cancer Awareness Month is a great initiative by Faith Based Cause Initiative where we target to spread awareness to the American population about breast cancer. Early detection and proper treatment of breast cancer can help in the prevention of breast cancer. We aim to save lives from breast cancer and reduce the mortality rate due to Breast cancer.